Vets Helping Vets Mission:
What is Vets Helping Vets?
If you are an individual or an organization wishing to establish similar, supportive networks in your community, VHV is an active partner with the Central Texas Veterans Health Care System (CTVHCS), providing advice, peer support programs and veteran's enrichment opportunities and is a leader in opportunity development trading. We can show you how.
If you are a family member of a veteran, VHV is a source of information, education and support. Your questions are welcome!
If you are a mental health service provider, VHV is a resource for your patients with symptoms of PTSD, unlike any you have used. Let them know about us.
VHV is a great many things to a great many people. Initiated as an Advisory Council to provide advice and guidance to the outpatient PCT clinic at CTVHCS in Waco, VHV has developed into a formal, yet informal, leader in provision of both enrichment and peer support services to veterans and those who care about veterans.
What does Vets Helping Vets do?
In its role as a veterans' network devoted to creating opportunities for veterans to identify and build on their strengths to help other veterans, VHV sponsors:
- Peer support groups and peer support for significant others.
- Guidance, mentoring and teaching for veterans with PTSD.
- Life enrichment, such as cooking classes, staying well classes, computer classes, etc.
- Educating the community on the affects of PTSD.
- Visit reserve center educating military personnel on the affects and symptoms of PTSD.
- Wheel chair repair for the entire Central Texas Veterans Health Care System.
- A drop-in resource with a computer lab, music relaxation and self-help rooms.
- Facilitate supportive activities for veterans suffering from the affects of PTSD.
- Operate and maintain the Greenhouse.
- Maintain all the flower beds at the Waco Campus.
- Supply plants for nurse stations and employee offices at the Waco Campus.
- Help and encourage veterans to make contact with local educational institutions to further their education.
- Assist veterans in writing resumes and job searching through the computer and through Vocational Specialist.